October 10, 2013

Christian Living: You are Stronger than You Think You are!!!

I had a REALLY tough time getting out of bed this morning. I woke up around 5 am and happily snuggled back under the covers, knowing that I had two hours left of sleepy time. I woke up around 6:30 am decided that I'd do devotion in bed. Something about the rain and the way my stomach was feeling kept me glued to the bed until the last minute. I rushed to get dressed and ready for work but it took a pretty substantial pep talk to get things moving. As I pushed and got ready for the day, I mentally made the decision that no matter what happened, I would make it through the day. Mind you, I LOVE my job. I LOVE the people I work with. I actually look forward to work every day. Why was I in such a weird place? Well, it was cold and rainy outside. My body was feeling a little weak and my stomach was a little crampy but that usually doesn't stop me, right?

As soon as I got to work, my stomach went into cramping hell. I gave my high-fives and good morning hugs to the kids and then made a beeline for the bathroom. I then took some medicine, ate some oatmeal (something to stick to the bones when you take medicine) and decided to keep the promise I made to myself only hours before. My boss informed me that we had quite a few errands to run: doctor's office, Wegman's and Toys R Us. Fun day, right?

As we drove to the doctor's office, my body felt like it was in the midst of a controlled fire. I could contain the pain but it was very very real. Within 20 minutes of arriving at the doctor's,  I had been in and out of the bathroom three times. I took two more Ibu Profin for a total of 800 mg in my system and then vomited it all up. Gross, uh? I began to pray because of the promise I made to myself and I really didn't want to go home and be stuck in bed all day. After praying and vomiting, I instantly felt A LOT better. I was so surprised and happy about it. My boss, at this point, was super cool and was kept checking on me to see if I needed anything. I assured her I was fine and then we headed to Wegman's. While in Wegman's, we stopped to purchase a hot cup of tea. I made it around the store just find and got to the check out line and the tea started to come back up. Thankfully, I made it to the restroom right in the knick of time to vomit the tea and remainder of my breakfast (sorry this is a gross post today). After that, I put on a Icy Hot medicated patch on my lower abdominals and went on with my business. By the time we arrived back at the house from Wegman's, I was perfectly fine and finished my day as if the dramatic morning hadn't happened. I ended up having a great finish to my day and got a ton of work done!

Moral of the story: Sometimes the immediate pain may feel unbearable but push through it! You can do it. Granted, you know your body and what you can handle. I knew that my pain would be temporary so I decided to keep pushing but sometimes it's good to push past what you think you can do because you'll surprise yourself. We are much stronger than we think we are. It's just that we've never had circumstances that really highlight that strength.  It's ironic that I gave myself the morning pep talk and promise not knowing what was in store for me. It was almost as if I was being set up for a test. I'm glad I stuck it out though. Demand a commitment from yourself and stick to it.
Your future self will thank you. Now excuse my while I pull a muscle patting myself on the back. I was a G today!

No comments:

Post a Comment