September 27, 2013

Christian Living: Present and Accounted For

It's interesting how the older I get, the busier life becomes. There's never any calm to the storm. There was one morning that I woke up and thought, "D! Your life is too crazy and there's got to be a better way!" So I've implemented a new strategy into my life and am working to make that my new reality.  It's interesting how a lot of motivational speakers/entrepreneurs will share that when you're looking to reach a certain achievement, the concept of balance is almost always a myth. They discourage the pursuit of balance. So what do you do? Live life like a chicken with it's head cut off? I think not! If you ever feel overwhelmed by the never-ending to-do list of kids, spouses, family, friends, work, play, plans, church, etc., here are some tips to help you regain control and get a sense of normalcy back into your life. 



1. Be Mentally Present. 
I can be physically present in Wednesday September 25 and mentally present in both Saturday October 5th and Christmas day 2013 at the same time. How? I'll be thinking about the things that I need to get done on those days, the things that could go wrong, the things I need to plan for, etc. If you're like me, your mind can go a mile a minute. When channeled in the right direction for appropriate use, it can be a very useful asset to think ahead. However, I think ahead to all the worries and stressors that can potentially arise on those different days. Don't do that. If it's Wednesday September 25, stay there. When you have some down time, make plans for those other days and then leave them there. This leads me to my next point. 

2. Make Plans. 
It's important to have a plan no matter what you're doing. The Bible makes it clear that where there is no vision, the people perish. Have an understanding of what the intended outcome is. You can apply this to just about any part of your life. You do have to leave leeway for people. You can't plan what people are going to do or what curveballs life might throw. You can plan for yourself though. 

3. Be Disciplined. 
There will always be something that goes wrong and it's important to have a contingency plan for emergencies. However, when you make the decision to be disciplined and do what's in front of you at the moment, you end up getting a lot more done and eliminate potential disasters. I've heard Dave Ramsey talk about the fact that most financial disasters happen to people who have no "rainy day fund" or plan in place to be disciplined and stick to. In Romans 7: 15, Paul is referencing sin when he says "the things [he] wants to do, he doesn't do but the things he doesn't want to do, that's what he ends up doing." Although he was talking about sin, I think the same came be applied when it comes to having discipline. After all, being lethargic and undisciplined could be considered sins (inadequate stewardship of time and other resources). I could go on about that but that'll be another blog for another day. For example, right now, I'd love to be sitting in front of the television watching reruns of House Hunters Renovation on HGTV. However, I've got to do the things that I've committed to doing which I know will make me happier once I've completed them. Commitment means sticking to something long after the feelings left you when you made the commitment. Discipline is sticking to the commitment. Once you decide to be disciplined and make it a practice, it will eventually become a habit and your life will bear fruit of that decision to be disciplined. 

I hope this has inspired and encouraged you to live a life that's filled with less chaos and more happiness! You can do anything you put your mind to! Now go be great!
God bless you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment