August 26, 2013

Visions & Blueprints

I love art, creativity and color. One of my favorite pasttimes is painting. I was recently painting at my sister's house and when I started to paint, I had no plan in mind. I was so anxious to get started that I didn't think about what I wanted to paint at all.

As I started mixing colors, ideas came to mind.

At one point, I figured I'd channel my inner Frida Kahlo and do a self-portrait.

I changed my mind and decided to do something abstract instead.

The abstract idea quickly became lame and I continued to be stumped about what to paint. 

I started to doodle. 

I started creating a small house with windows, a chimney and purple grass. 

It was quickly getting bizarre.



I looked up only to see my sister laughing. She saw me trying so hard to make sense of what was on my cardboard canvas but it was a lost cause. I started laughing because I had to step back from it. What started as a relaxing fun hobby with my sister turned into a situation of mass confusion. We joked about how this is how our lives can be sometimes but of course, it sparked a more serious conversation. 

In Habbakuk 2:2, the Bible says to write the vision and make it plain. It's so important to have a vision and clarity about how to make it happen. You can have a saw, hammer, nails, and a crew of people to help build. But if you don't know what you're building or what you would like the expected outcome to be, anything goes. When anything goes, mass confusion usually ensues. 

If you'd like to create a beautiful painting, figure out what you want to create first. Come up with a pencil sketch. Make sure you have the right equipment and then begin to paint!

If you'd like to be a better Christian, carve out time to spend in the Word and in prayer. Find a church home and get involved.  

If you'd like to be a better spouse, get in tune with your partner. Speak to them in their love language. Get advice from an older couple whose been happily married for many many years. 

If you'd like to be a better business owner, get a mentor. Set company goals and implement ways to achieve them. 

These are just suggestions but you get the idea. You must have an vision and an action plan or else anything goes. You don't want that outcome. Connect with God and ask Him to show you ways to improve and then operate in what He's told you to do.

Be proactive. You can do it!



1 comment: