September 24, 2013

DIY Plate Decoration Project: Matthew 6:22

It's time for another fun DIY project! So there's a little story behind this plate! As I've said before, I'm tackling my To-DIY list one project at a time and I pinned a similar project on Pinterest where coffee mugs were used. My heritage is West-Indian (Grenadian, to be exact) so it's in my blood to love tea! :) I literally drink tea all year round and was looking forward to creating a personalized mug. I will still do one and post the results. 



When I went to the dollar store to pick up a coffee mug, I could not find one single plain white mug. They had every other design under the sun but there were no white mugs. I was kind of bummed about it since I was really looking forward to it and I've seen plain white mugs at the dollar store before. I decided not to sweat it too much and DIY a plate instead. I figured it would be great practice for when I found my perfect mugs.  So I found a nice ceramic plate and a sharpie and decided I'd get creative. When I got home, I really couldn't think of anything I'd want to put on a plate. I thought of pretty pictures, different prints, polka dots, etc but nothing was sitting with me right. 



Then, I looked up and saw a scripture from this post that I did a few years ago. I don't know why my screen was on that page. I know it's listed in the popular posts section but I don't remember clicking that link. Anyway, as I read the scripture, I realized that I really liked it and I wanted it on the plate. As I started to write the scripture, the ideas flowed and the pictures started to form. Don't laugh! I'm not the best artist, I know! Despite my lack of artistic prowess, I still love what I created a lot! 
Here's a hint: I quickly learned that nail polish remover is a fantastic eraser if you mess up and want to try again! I used quite a bit and I had a blast doing it. 


I think it's a running joke among Christians that the Message translation is the most random translation ever. Sometimes you'll read a scripture from the Message and then from the KJV and wonder how the two are one and the same. I love this verse though. It's very poetic and incredibly true. Now, once you finish creating your design, you can bake it for 10 minutes at 350F to seal it in. As my hand gets steadier, I'll try this with a set of mugs. This project could make a great "thinking of you" gift. It's always nice to surprise your friends with random cute knick-knacks. 


The plate ended up turning into a really sweet space to hold all my toiletries when I'm getting ready in the moning. All the regulars are in one place and they can't get lost because I'm happy to put them back in their rightful spot! :)


"Your eyes are windows into your body. 
If you open your eyes in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light." 

- Matthew 6:22
The Message Translation
(of course!!!)

2 comments: