February 28, 2011

Forgive Yourself and Move On



I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered about the validity of karma in my life. Today was one of those days where I was thinking for hours about what experiences in my life are a result of karma coming on to me. I was doing some reading this morning and it sent me down a treacherous path of thoughts. I had to run a couple errands for work and when I made my first stop,  I couldn't even get out of the car at first. I pulled the key out of the ignition and just let myself cry it out.. There were some painful memories that were resurrected with the reading I did this morning. Somewhere deep down, I had convinced myself that it wasn't okay for me to really enjoy life because of mistakes I'd made years ago. I felt as though the reason why things weren't the way I wanted them now was because I was on punishment. It wasn't until I was driving to the gym that I realized how abusive those thoughts were.  No one was punishing me but me. I repented of my sins. I asked God for forgiveness. It was forgotten by everyone but me. I used my guilt to keep the transgressions alive and around to haunt me. If you've ever felt this way, remember the following: 
  • You are GOD's child.He loves you and would never be okay with you living in guilt, fear, or depression(Jeremiah 29:11- For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.) He knows your heart. You can't hide anything from Him. Let Him be there for you.                                              
  • Your thoughts are powerful.If you dwell on the negative incidents in your past, you simultaneously ruin the positive experiences that are headed your way. That's self-sabotage. Don't go there. When you start to feel guilty about your past, think of how merciful God is and how He is a God of second chances (or in my case, 30th and 58th chances). Dwell on the positive. Here's a great exercise: When you start to feel the negative energy seep in, think of all the blessings in your life. List them one by one no matter how small they might seem. 
  • Understand that NO ONE is perfect. We ALL make mistakes. The important thing is to get back up and keep striving to be a better YOU.
  • Never let others make you feel unworthy. I've seen it and experienced it. You fall and get back up yet there are others who see you fall and decide to remind you that you fell and are unworthy of a shot at being a better you. "I know how you are" or "You're not fooling anybody". It's unbelievable the horrible words people will say about you when you're trying to make a change. To get into the reasons of why they'd do it is counter-productive. Just focus on bettering yourself and let God take care of the thorns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment